Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thing 17

There was so much to take in on this podcasting assignment, I am going to have to spend more time exploring all the different ones available. I ended up subscribing to http://www.justonemorebook.com/ . I thought this one could prove to be useful in a 2nd grade classroom. I know there are others like this out there because a colleague of mine has used podcasts of authors reading and discussing their books in conjunction with her promethean board to introduce various works to her 2nd grade students. I had already decided that this is something I definitely wanted to incorporate into my classroom this year. Now, I am a little more familiar with navigating around to try and find different podcasts to use.

I previewed several of the suggested podcasts: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/. I particularly liked the podcast on this site called money girl. I also looked at the Jamestown podcast project- http://www.apsva.us/155420829102140303/site/default.asp?. I thought this one was very interesting the way they included even the lower grades in creating podcasts. There was one where each student had written a book about a famous American. The students' books were read aloud by the students as the pages were shown on the podcast. I did wonder how much time it would take to create something like this with anywhere from 20-23 students, but it was a very cool project that I think kids would love.
I looked at the teachers teaching teachers podcasts http://teachersteachingteachers.org/. These seemed to be way over my head and not really something that I think I could benefit from right now. Additionally, it looked like most of the subjects involved high school level teachers so most of this would not really apply to me.
The Bob and Rob Show http://www.thebobandrobshow.com/website/index.php was really cute and I think kids would like it. Again, much of it seemed to be aimed at older kids and adults, but the idea of these two guys teaching English in a humorous way was good.

I have had limited exposure to podcasts before through watching things with my own kids, though not educational type podcasts. This was an eye-opening experience that there are actually podcasts out there that could be helpful to me in the classroom. As I said, I can see myself exploring some of the ones that involve children's literature to peak the students' interest in reading. I would like to spend more time looking into this.

1 comment:

  1. I loved "Just One More Book" (my 6 year old daughter did too). Thank you for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete