Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thing #2

First of all, I had a lot of trouble getting to the article I was supposed to read about 2.0. I apparently didn't have the right "stuff" on my computer to open it up so I tried downloading what I thought I needed and it still didn't work. So...I "viewed the problem as a challenge." I went to google and looked up the article elsewhere online. As I read the article, I had several thought that came to mind:

1. I felt that parts of the article were well over the head of someone like me who is technologically challenged. Terms were used without definition (such as Wiki). If you don't even know what a wiki is, then it is kind of hard to appreciate what they're talking about. I couldn't really tell if it was like a podcast or blog or what. And, if it was similar...what was the difference?

2. I am very confused about the legalities involved in filming and recording students in the classroom for these podcasts, etc. I would think there could be problems especially if this technology were used in lower grades with very young children.

3. One part of the article described a student texting information. I think this would be very difficult to oversee and abuses of this privilege seem inevitable.

4. I could definitely see how the instant access of new information from all over the world could be beneficial to teachers in planning their lessons. I wouldn't think I would ever be able to do this on a daily basis, though. All of the blogging, podcasting, problems with equipment, etc. seem as if they could be extremely time consuming. I did think the principal being able to access the teacher/classroom blogs was useful, but I didn't think it would be realistic timewise on a weekly basis as in the example.

5. The less economically advantaged students' families really wouldn't get anything out of this because they most likely wouldn't have the technology in their households that would be necessary to see the podcasts, blogs, etc.

Overall, I think that these options are great and very useful. However, I can't really see myself implementing them at the level used in the article.

2 comments:

  1. Don't fret...in response #1, you will know what all those terms mean by the end of this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you in your first point--I am still learning the differences between Wiki and podcast and those things (not even sure which are capitalized and which are not!). The idea of using all those things in one day seems overwhelming to me.

    Your second and third points are valid as well. As fascinating as this all is, I have some concerns about what can and cannot be used on all these different "toys".

    I also wonder about the time factor of accomplishing all this AND about how to include those students who do not have access at home.

    I LOVE your post about this article!

    You can find my blog at
    http://campbellsblog-de.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete