Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thing #6

Well, I am certainly starting to feel overwhelmed by all of the information out there. As I started searching for blogs to add to my reader, I have to admit I started to feel very lost. I was heading down all these different trails and couldn't always find my way back. Some of these blogs look more like magazines with articles. Others are very informal. My biggest problem seems to be in including the links to these articles/entries.

While I can definitely see the benefit of this reader, I am coming back to my original weakness of not really understanding the technicalities of everything. So, while I have added several blogs to my reader and I am able to look at them, if I want to share something I've read with someone else, I am still struggling to know how to share it. We are supposed to include a link to an entry of interest to us in this post. Here is where I am confused and I am sure that knowing how to do this task is considered very basic to most of the other people in this class.

I read a very interesting article by a man who is an independent speaker/consultant http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/. He was discussing how 40% of the American workforce is projected to be in an independent contractor role in the workplace in the near future and how the schools should be preparing students with the skills that this will require (such as time management, being a self-starter, etc.) I loved this article because I believe it is very relevant to us as teachers. We are preparing students for an entirely different workforce than the one for which we were prepared. This is the kind of practical information I feel is most useful in the classroom today.

1 comment:

  1. You're doing fine; you provided a link to Blue Skunk Blog which is great.

    ReplyDelete