Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thing #8

This creative commons interested me very much because I spent last summer reading several books about inventions and patents and turning an idea into a business. All of the books I read dealt with average everyday moms who came up with some idea and then they ended up having their own business. While the stories of these ladies were intriguing and I loved the books, I got very frustrated whenever I would get to the parts that detailed the patent/copyright process. It was SO confusing. There were all of these legalities and some of them seemed to contradict others. Creative commons sounds wonderful and it seems to open all kinds of doors to educators but I am still unclear as to what it allows us to do. If the Creative Commons symbol is there, can we pretty much do whatever we want with the material (short of reselling it) in the classroom? And what about outside the classroom in our personal lives. I'm still a little unclear as to what all it allows. I get that it is pretty much saying that the material CAN be used but I still don't know where the boundaries end.

I am interested to see if I can find some sites with creative commons as I have never noticed this before. I'm sure that this could open up lots of possibilities for use of material in the classroom, particularly for research projects being done by students.

No comments:

Post a Comment